Tuesday, November 29, 2011

El Moro Canyon at Crystal Cove State Park

November 26th, 2011

I can't believe it, I finally got to go trail running again! The past few weeks have been busy and also I had to take a break from running for two weeks. Those two weeks threw me back tremendously. :-( As I had registered for the Crystal Cove Trail Race (which will take place in December) though I was more than happy to go trail running again. So on a beautiful and warm November day over the Thanksgiving weekend I drove down to Newport Beach to find this trail at Crystal Cove State Park. I absolutely wanted to see and run the route before actually running in the race. What can I say? Another beautiful trail (and SO worth the drive down to Newport Beach) but challenging. Not the distance of course (3.5miles or 6km), but the incline. It started right away with a long and steep incline, which I wasn't able to run - especially as it was an extremely warm November day in the upper 70s. Also the trail was exposed to sun at all times. But I was able to speedwalk uphill and once the hill was less steep I was able to run. I tried to run most of the time of course. It was a wonderful trail, with views onto the entire canyon and the other trails (there are several trails there which make you want to go hiking). Gorgeous! The route included also a nice downhill trail, just to be followed by a very steep incline, called Poles, again. This one almost knocked me out in the heat ;-) But I made it up there walking and after this last challenge the rest of the route was downhill. I finished the entire route - running and walking - in 49min, including taking pictures here and there (although I stopped taking time most of them time when taking photos). So my big hope for race day is that there will be overcast weather and cooler temperatures! :-) I liked the trail a lot and definitely will be back for running or hiking! Last but not least it is worth mentioning that the rangers in the state park there were really friendly and helpful, one of them took lots of time explaining the different trails to me, showing them to me on a relief map and finding out the names of the trails for the race. :-)

















And if this wasn't enough I continued running along the beach for 1.5 miles to Crystal Cove Cottages... again wonderful views and just awesome to feel and smell the fresh ocean air! :-)








And me happily recovering from the run at the beach :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment